Search This Blog

Wednesday 3 February 2021

Wrong Thomas JAMES!

 Not the correct Thomas James.

When I checked the emails last night before going to bed there was an email from the UK RGO telling me that a certificate, I had ordered was available. I couldn’t resist, so at just past midnight I logged into the site and downloaded the pdf. of a death certificate of a Thomas James

My hopes that it would verify that he was my three times great grandfather were dashed. Unlike other certificates the name and address of the notifier had proved without a doubt I had the correct ancestor, but not this time. The notifier of the dearth of this Thomas Watson was a, Coroner of Bedford Square, this Thomas died in the St Giles Workhouse Infirmary.

I had high hopes when I ordered this   death certificate that it would provide me with enough details to verify that this chap was my three times great grandfather. Disappointingly the notifier of the death was The Coroner of Bedford Square. This poor chap was found dead in the Infirmary, St Giles Workhouse on November seventh 1843.His occupation was a ‘boot closer’ and the corner reported his death as due to natural causes. The date his death was register was 25 days after he died.

My next step was to look for more information. I posted a message to a Facebook group I subscribe to and went to bed. Next morning among the helpful replies was one with the details of a likely candidate on the 1841 census, but living with a wife called Caroline, my Thomas was married to Elizabeth, confirmed by the 1841 census.

Disappointing as it was to receive this incorrect certificate it has at least ruled him out of the search for my three times great grandfather.



No comments:

Post a Comment