Search This Blog

Monday 24 August 2020

Troublemaker. aka Black Sheep:James HARVEY & Susannah LUCAS

had initially thought that the prompt was Black Sheep. Because this story has been a troublesome one to write its sub title will be Black Sheep

This prompt could easily be applied to an ancestor that I have already written about.

So where do I start this time? Well there’s the great aunt who was cited for adultery. She isn’t a direct ancestor and all I know are the bare facts. Besides I don’t feel that it is my place to write about her. If she’d been my grandmother…well that would be different, but she wasn’t. Thinking about it, my family has quite a few ‘black sheep’, but show me a family that doesn’t.

So maybe I’ll write about ‘lost sheep’ instead.

Previously I wrote a story about a third great grandfather, James Harvey, in week 22, Uncertain when both James and his wife Susan Lucas were not in the same household on the 1841 census as their children.

James and Susannah marriage took place at Barking Tye, Suffolk, which is about 20 miles 23 km from Wilby.

Is it too much of a coincidence to discover on the 1841 census for Wilby, that Thomas Aldous who Susan goes on to marry on 11 February 1848, eight years after James died, lives right next door to a David Harvey and his family including a child called James and a daughter called Harriot, both of which seem to be family names. Interesting it maybe, but I cannot find a link, yet.

There is a possible James on the 1841 census, but in Worlingworth, Hoxne, which is only about three and a half miles from Wilby (about 3.5 Km), but no sign of Susannah  

On yet another Suffolk census, this time at Brandeston, about ten miles from Wilby is another James Harvey

I thought I was on to something with an 1841 census search for Susannah in Worlingworth which is about 25 miles from Wilby. When I looked at the actual record it was for a nine-year-old Susan Harvey. Again, is that too much of a coincidence to find Harvey in a family of Lucas’s?

The search for my troublesome ‘lost sheep’ is somewhat disheartening, but I do hope one day to be able to solve the mystery of where James and Susannah where on census night


No comments:

Post a Comment