Search This Blog

Thursday 11 June 2020

Handed Down: Family Resemblances


Our family has no ‘treasures’ that have been handed down. On the census records their occupations are mostly listed as ‘ag labs’ and labourers, domestic workers, or appear not to have any occupation at all. My mother would have called them common.
What they handed down was their genes.
If you looked at the few old black and white photographs of my mother and then of me you might think that it was the same person. The same can be said for my father and one of my grandsons. Tangible proof of the legacy of their DNA.
In a photograph of me with my father’s sister and her daughters we are obviously the same family, and there is a distinct resemblance between my sister and our grandmother and our mother’s sister.
I think it is human nature to look for ourselves in group photographs just as is it to seek out resemblances in old snapshots.



No comments:

Post a Comment