Search This Blog

Saturday 14 March 2020

Luck: George PIRRET

A brief Good Luck Story.

My grandmother's maiden name was Pirrett. This name has various spelling that have over the years have caused me no end of trouble in my ancestral quest.

I began to search for my maternal great grandfather George Pirrett when I was just a novice at genealogy. Family story had it that he was buried at Auckland’s Waikumete Cemetery. It was back in 1987 so I sent off a letter to the Auckland City Council asking if he was buried there. Some weeks later the reply came advising me that “Regrettably I must inform you that a search of our records does not reveal any burial for Mr G Pirrett.”

About three years later on a family visit to Auckland I decided to visit Waikumete and have another try at finding his grave. I made my inquiry at the sextant’s office and was astounded by his reply of “Oh yes I know exactly where he’s buried, someone was looking for him just last week”. Turns out that a distant cousin was also on the hunt for him and had visited the cemetery just before me!

George’s surname was recorded in the cemetery records as Pirritt!


I have visited his grave several time.
More about George can be found on this blog in the story called Talking About George, But Which one?

No comments:

Post a Comment